Thursday, June 25, 2009

America has Culture...and I'm proud to be a part of it!



Some people say that America doesn't have a culture. People look at the Chinese or Indian or the Mexican to exemplify a strong cultural presence. Often times older generations of immigrants are saddened by the younger generations' loss of traditions and care of original heritage. It's true that America is perhaps one of the youngest counties in the world; however, young doesn't mean culturally void. I'd like to say America has a very defined culture. Perhaps we don't flounce around in colored robes, but people recognize Americans around the world. Thus, if Americans are identified, then Americans have a definitive culture. Although flawed like every human being, America stands for freedom and hard work. America is blue jeans, BBQs, family picnics and ipods. We strive to be the best we can be, and have every opportunity to do it. American culture is not inferior; it is perhaps newer and more culturally homogenized, but nonetheless, it stands out. People can turn their noses up at the U.S., but the immigration centers continue to be flooded with applications. People risk their lives and freedom to reach the border. If American culture is not a true culture, then why is there such a desperation to be identified with it? I thank God that I am an American. Although I am not proud at many of the ways our culture has turned morally, I still recognize the strong roots of a free nation. I know how very blessed I am.

No comments: